Monday, May 26, 2014

Springers


So for those of you who really know me, it will come to no surprise that I love using Springers. Why? I can answer that question a few ways...

1) They are cheap. Let's face it, how many of you reading this have bought a pistol tried it out and decided that you didn't like one thing or another about it. It could have been the size, the look, the way it works ( mag release, safety etc..) compared to other pistols etc. So you're now out the purchase price or worse especially if you purchased anything with it such as a holster or extra mags. Springers on the other hand are available in many of the same models as their gas powered cousins, but at a fraction of the cost. Also if they break, it doesn't hurt so bad when it comes time to toss them.  With very few exceptions, the most expensive spring pistol you can get will be under $50.00, most can be had for under $25.00, that's less than the purchase of 1 or 2 replacement mags for your gas guns! 

2) They are dependable. When you look at the sale ads for used airsoft guns, you see phrases like "comes with 3 mags, 1 needs a new o-ring", or "with a new slide it will be like new." That little Colt springer of mine it was shooting about 100 fps when I got it, it shoots 108 fps now that it's broken in, it's been 4 years I've been using it and it just continues to get better! The only needed upgrades? I gave it a shot of silicon oil a couple of years ago and yes, I painted it black, so much for high maintenance. 

3) They stretch your abilities. Think about the difference between spring  and gas pistols. There are gas pistols that can go over 500 fps with .20s compared to most springers that shoot under 300fps. Gas pistols shoot over and over with no other action required other than pulling the trigger, some are even full auto capable! Springers require being cocked each and every shot, no more no less, each time. Gas pistols because of their higher power shoot generally much farther and are at varying levels are all upgradable and tunable, with springers you "might" be able to put a stronger spring if you don't destroy it trying!

 Soooo then, how do they "Stretch your abilities?" 

Just as using mid and low caps on your AEG forces you to pick your shots and make them count, you have to be much more selective with your shots, it's no longer "yank the trigger until you get that kill." There IS a certain pleasure to the kill that is made because you took the time to move forward unseen, to set
up the perfect shot then with a single pull of the trigger....hear that rewarding word....HIT! 

Just ask Mr. John Lu of Lion Claw Simulations, about that one, pistol and knife kills are his favorites

So out of my collection of Springers, what are my favourites?

Colt 25 Spring Airsoft Pistol $8.99 
  • 108 fps (0.25 BB) / 25-50 feet
  • Grip Safety
  • Sub-Compact Size
  • Hop Up
  • Capacity: 15 Rounds 
The Colt 25 springer was the first of my springers. It made it's way to me coming in a jug of Big 5 sporting goods BBs, back when my son Scott first started playing airsoft. It was a cute toy that just happened to be a duplicate of my real 25 auto. After I started playing airsoft it was my first pistol and I originally carried it as more of a joke...it was, tiny, clear plastic, low power, etc. But once I took it on the field I learned that while it was low power that it also had a very long range - about 50 feet! It would drive people nuts when I could reach them with such a small pistol. In the years that I have had it, all I have done to it was to put a nice black paint on it and a shot of silicon down the barrel. It has since become kind of an unofficial initiation to our team, each new member at some point gets shot in the butt with this... Justin, Chase, Tyler....




Colt Delta Elite 105 -  $28.99
  • Velocity: 260 fps (0.25 BB)
  • Range: 70-80 feet
  • Barrel Length: 5 inches
  • Magazine Capacity: 12 Rounds
  • Metal Barrel
  • Authentic Trademarks
  • BAX Adjustable Hopup System 
The Colt Delta Elite 105 is my regular carry sidearm at every game. I have always loved the 1911 form factor and had been looking for a while to find just the right pistol to replace a rather problematic CO2 pistol that I was running. (Yes I DO own a few gas pistols) When I saw this and got to try it out I knew that this was the one for me! It shoots with a nice tight grouping out to about 75 feet, is very quiet and uses a very common Crossman magazine so that was a plus for me. As for how is is made, this is the only airsoft gun that I have purchase that didn't need some cleaning up of the finish to remove blemishes - yup I'm a little OCD... 


Crossman Stinger P30 Airsoft Pistol $16.00
  • Material: synthetic
  • Hop-up system
  • Power source: spring
  • Mechanism: repeater
  • Velocity: 275fps / Range 80-90 feet
  • Caliber/Ammo: 6mm plastic BB's
  • Magazine capacity: up to 15 rounds
  • Barrel: smooth bore aluminum
  • Safety: notch
The Crossman Stinger P30 was a pistol that I got in a trade. First of all YES I DO KNOW ITS A WALMART GUN! I had misplaced the previously mentioned CO2 pistol right before a big game and this became the sidearm for the weekend. When I first got it the grips would move no matter how much you tightened them and the whole gun felt ridiculously light for how large a frame it was. Well the range was decent and it surprisingly shoots at least as good if not better a grouping as my Delta Elite, much to the dislike of our neighborhood skunk... (don't ask) This only needed the grips taken off and lead filled and hot glued to the pistol to make it feel like I wasn't going to break every time I picked it up...


FINALLY - I couldn't resist adding a couple of my spring powered rifles to the mix here...


DE M500 Tactical Heavy Weight Airsoft Pump Shotgun $35.00 
  • Muscle Spring Action
  • Dramatic Sure-Cocking Forearm
  • Pump and Fire
  • Matte Black Non-glare Finish
  • Hop-up Adjustment Switch
  • Muzzle Velocity: 340~350 fps
This Spring Pump Shotgun as purchased from a teammate (Thank you Tyler!), who knew that I had a passion or was it an obsession with springers. I have used it in a couple of local games and I've got to say that I'm impressed with just how hard this thing really shoots. Obviously it doesn't have the range of an AEG but it makes up for it in shear sight and sound impact. There is nothing that strikes fear into the heart than the racking of a shotgun! - even an airsoft one! It will never replace my Masada but it is defiantly a good backup for most any game and will see its share of use in CQB.

WELL MB02 VSR-10 Short Barrel Spring Airsoft Sniper Rifle $94.07
  • 3-9 x40 Scope
  • 350 fps (0.25 g BB) / 200-250 feet
  • Capacity: 30 Rounds 

The VSR-10 was purchased a couple of years ago with the intention of using it as a short bolt action rifle. Since them I have really gone back and forth on whether I want to upgrade this to make it a full on sniper or to leave it stock. As it is still stock and I use .25 BBs in it and thus bring it down to 345-350 FPS, most fields allow me to use it in a rifleman capacity rather than as a sniper. The accuracy of it is decent out to about 100-125 feet but really tanks after that. One of the nice things about this model is how low the cost of the parts are and how easy it is to upgrade!
 
Summary: 
While springers may not be the best choice for everyone. I feel that they really do have their place both as entry level weapon and a great low cost method to try out the look and feel of more expensive replicas. And what better way to get new players excited about the sport of airsoft than to gift them out when you no longer need or use them...


 Padre' out...



http://airsoftikaika.weebly.com/   The Warriors on YouTube

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Padre. i read it carefully this blog and i found it logical. Springers is a good choice not only for beginners, for experienced players like me too.

    ur choices are a real good guns and a cheap way to get a airsoft gun without harm seriously our finances. but there is something i wanna to share with u. is about the real low price chinese imitations, too popular here in my country (matter of fact i had a collection of those "guns" before start in airsoft, and i use one as a "backup of the secondary"), bought by irresponsible parents to their kids, without measuring the risks these "replicas" involve both its material and the pellet firing. in my blog (in spanish) i made an article where i disassembled one of these and explain the risks these guns involved if is manipulated by minors.

    regards from Chile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose,
      We would love to get the link to your blog.
      Padre'

      Delete